History

Gated Entrance Community

History

IMG_0020

Well over a century ago, a husky young farmer, blacksmith and expert judge of horseflesh, loaded his possessions into a covered wagon, and with his wife and two young children left central Tennessee and headed for Texas. This man was John (Jack) Batchler. He also brought with him a bay colt by the name of “SHILOH”. Shiloh was to become one of the most celebrated Quarter Horse stallions in Texas.

This stallion made a deep brand on quarter horse strains and his descendants are still winning races and taking show ribbons. In 1859, Jack Batchler bought a farm in Northern Ellis County and moved his family along with the famous Shiloh to their new home at Bluff Springs on Bear Creek. SHILOH DOWNS is now what was the rich prairie land surrounding the original Batchler farm. The development of SHILOH DOWNS is in memory of Jack Batchler and his famous Quarter Horse, “SHILOH”.

Jack Batchler is the Great-Great Grandfather of John Bass, the developer of SHILOH DOWNS.